According to those that I have spoken to, there has been a lot said about Carl Lazzaro over the years. Carl can be loud, bombastic and passionate in his opinions. All true.
But he can also be the most valuable friend that you can come to rely upon. And while he enjoys laughter, especially with children, he is very serious as a public servant.
“He speaks his mind and you know where he stands.”
Carl didn’t enter politics because he had ambitions to make a name for himself. Carl was always a public servant.
- Carl is the guy that shows up to your door in the middle of the night to care for you as an EMT.
- Carl is the minister that drops whatever he is doing to help you through your most difficult hours.
- Carl became a firefighter at the age of 60, why??? to help others.
- His presence and efforts have been a force for the Newton Rotary for more years than anyone can remember.
Carl has been accused of not caring for county workers, nothing could be further from the truth. While other Freeholders over the years had basically ignored the employees, Carl has spent the last two years getting to know them personally, but Carl also recognizes that the taxpayer money is his honored trust, and it is necessary to be as efficient and frugal as possible to respect the concerns of the tax paying residents of Sussex County.
I wanted to know more about Mr. Lazzaro so I did a little research on Carl and I thought you might like to more about him too.
Carl was born and raised in a rural upstate New York, He moved to Sussex County in 1972, as a minister to run a drug treatment center in Newton. Carl’s resume is long and substantive. He has been a pastor; Drug Counselor and Administrator, member of the Newton Board of Education for 12 years, Fredon Township Committeeman and Mayor, Certified EMT and member of the Fredon Rescue Squad, Fredon Fire Department Firefighter and Chaplin.
- 1982 – Present President and Owner of Lazzaro Insurance Agency, Newton, NJ.
- 1972 – 75 Founder & Executive Director of The Labyrinth, Drug Treatment Center, Newton, NJ.
- 1970 – 72 Administrator of Adolescent Drug Treatment Center, Odyssey House, New York, NY.
- 1969 Administrator of Adult Drug Treatment Center, Odyssey House, New York, NY.
- 1968 – 72 Institute for the Advancement of Criminal Justice
- 1967 Senior Pastor, Forest Park Reformed Church, New York, NY.
- 1966 Supervisor Reformed Church Mission, Jicarilla Apache Indian Reservation, Dulce, New Mexico.
- Community Service:
- Member of the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Committee – Comprehensive Health Planning Council of Northern New Jersey, 1972.
- Newton Board of Education, 1972-84.
- New Jersey School Boards Association Board of Directors, 1980-84.
- Executive Board of Directors, New Jersey Interscholastic Athletic Association, 1982-84.
- Fredon Township Planning Board, 2003-2007
- Fredon Township Committee elected 2007-2016
- Certified EMT –Captain Fredon Rescue Squad – Fire Fighter & Chaplain – Fredon Fire Department
- President Fredon Fire Company 2010 – 2011 Appointed Chaplain Sussex County Firefighters Association
- Deputy Mayor – 2010
- Mayor Fredon Township – 2011-15
- Freeholder 2015 – Freeholder Deputy Director 2016 – Freeholder Director 2017
- Sussex County Planning Board 2016-present
Member Newton Rotary Club 35 years & Past President Newton Rotary Club.
- President, Vice President, Community Service, Vocational Service, Club Service, International Service, Sergeant of Arms.
- Paul Harris Fellow (4). Paul Harris Society Charter Member
- Chairman, Annual Pancake breakfast generating 2-5000- 4 years 1985-89
- Governor’s Rep 1992-94
- Hosted Youth Exchange Student – also son Andrew exchanged to Japan.
- Developed and chaired the construction and operation of Newton Rotary food concession at the Sussex County State Fair, Farm & Horse Show generating $ 20-25000 per year for club. Primary fundraiser for the Newton Rotary Club 1991- Present.
- Rotarian of the Year, 1993.
- Vocational Service Award, 1997-98.
- Team Leader, Group Study Exchange, Italy 2004
- Rutgers, The State University, 1964 – BA.
- New Brunswick Theological Seminary, 1967 – M. Div
- Post Graduate Center of Mental Health, 1967 – 69
- 39 credits in Counseling, Supervision Individual & Group Therapy.
- Certified Long-Term Care Counselor, 2003.
Below is a letter that Carl sent to the constituents this year. From his own hand, it explains him better than I can. Say what you want about Carl, but he is sincere and independent minded as they come.
Letter CL rev
For the record: This article was written independently. I am not paid or associated with any campaign.